top of page

Thatcham - Match Report





Uxbridge bounced back from their first loss of the season at Walton & Hersham on Saturday, to record a comfortable 2-0 home win against Thatcham Town. Although it took two late strikes from distance to complete the victory.

Manager Danny Edwards once again shuffled his pack and made five changes to the side that started the game on Saturday. Josh Andrew returned at right -back in place of Elliott Poley, Maurice Nugent made his first league start, replacing David Sota at left-back. The midfield saw Alan Hedley come in for Lonit Talla, with Lenny Farhall and Alex Witham completing the changes for Juwon Akintunde and Victor Osobu respectively.

From the kick-off Uxbridge looked to assert their authority on the game and pushed The Kingfishers back deep into their own half. This pressure almost turned into a goal when the lively Kensley Maloney found space on the edge of the box, but saw his shot rebound off the foot of the post. Shortly after the game was held up for a period of time, following a nasty injury to Thatcham’s Lewis Francis. The player, with no one in close attendance, went down as he tried to turn with the ball. A dislocated Patella was the cause and we all wish Lewis a speedy recovery. Uxbridge continued to push and probe but were unable to find a breakthrough. Jack Hopwood in the Kingfishers goal was once again in fine form. Half Time: 0-0.

The second half continued in much the same vain, The Reds dominating possession and taking the game to the visitors but were still unable to find a breakthrough. Farhall’s tireless running and Witham’s calmness on the ball saw the game played in Thatcham’s half for long periods. However, Thatcham looked dangerous on the break and The Reds were thankful for the finger-tips of Tyler Tobin as he somehow clawed away a mis-hit shot that looped into the air and looked destined for the back of the net. With the game heading towards the final quarter it took something special to break the deadlock. Andy O’Brien played a ball into the feet of Hedley just inside the visitors half. In one movement he controlled, turned and sped towards goal, before unleashing a shot from 20 yards that gave Hopwood no chance as it flew in-of-the post, for his first league goal for the club. A repeat performance from Witham in the 83rd minute sealed the points for The Reds. Receiving a pass from substitute Osobu he took aim and from the edge of the area he found the roof of the net with a thunderbolt of a strike. In the closing stages new signing Andy Ofosu made his Uxbridge debut, replacing the hard-working Farhall in attack. Full Time: 2-0.

Uxbridge now turn their attentions back to the Emirates FA Cup as they visit Marlow on Saturday in the First Qualifying Round. This display will have hopefully improved their confidence as a tricky tie awaits them at The Alfred Davis Stadium.

Uxbridge Line-up: Tobin, Andrew, Nugent, Jarra, O’Brien, Jackson, Maloney, Hedley, Witham, Farhall, Beadle. Subs: Evans for Maloney, Osobu for Beadle, Ofosu for Farhall. Not Used: Paine, Seabrook.


Recent Posts

See All