top of page

Thatcham Town - Match Report





Goal-shy Reds struggled to find their FA Trophy form, as they slumped to defeat at in-form Thatcham Town. Danny Edwards was forced to shuffle his pack as Alan Hedley, Scott Donnelly and Callum Woodcock were all unavailable. Attacking wide man Khalid Simmo made his debut, while Jordan Ireland and Victor Osobu returned to the starting eleven.

The Kingfishers, with only one defeat in their previous five games, started brightly and Tyler Tobin had to be at his best to keep his goal intact. Firstly, he was quick of his line to deny Oliver Bourne, forcing the Thatcham man wide and blocking his shot with his legs for a corner. He repeated the act minutes later, timing his challenge to perfection as The Kingfishers seemed certain to score. Uxbridge responded well and Alex Witham’s free-kick, in the 19th minute, eluded everyone and drifted just wide of the far-post with Toby Fisher in the Thatcham goal rooted to the spot. Witham had a great chance to give the visitors the lead a minute later. Josh Andrew’s throw-in found its way to the Uxbridge number 10 only seven yards from goal, but he was wayward with his attempt and Dan Williams was unable to get a touch as the ball rolled wide of the upright. Williams was unlucky not to add to his Reds tally just after the half-hour mark, striking the woodwork twice. Ireland headed Witham’s corner back across goal and Williams’s header beat Fisher and crashed against the bar. Williams was quick to react, his second header was deflected up onto the same spot on the crossbar and hacked clear. The home side will wonder how they didn’t enjoy the half-time oranges in front, as they got behind the Reds defence and had only Tobin to beat. The Uxbridge custodian wasn’t in the mood to beaten and pulled off three unbelievable point-blank saves to ensure the break was reached with the sides level at 0-0.

Uxbridge had the better of the opening exchanges in the second period but couldn’t quite find the right pass or shot to break the deadlock. Simmo showed a glimpse of his potential in the 62nd minute. gliding past the full-back and finding Witham at the far-post. Maybe the angle was tight, but Witham elected to try and find a team-mate instead of having an effort on goal and the ball was cleared. The turning point in the match came in a three-minute spell, commencing in the 73rd minute. Tobin was at full-stretch to tip over a powerful shot and from the resulting corner Andrew headed off the line. The Thatcham players were convinced it had crossed the line and hounded the referee to consult his assistant. Consultation over and the result was another corner. This time Uxbridge failed to clear and Ramarni Medford-Smith bundled the ball over the line from close-range, to give the Kingfishers the lead. With the clock ticking past the ninety-minute mark and Uxbridge chasing the game, the home side wrapped up all three points. Osobu was robbed on the half-way line by Nathan Jones, who sped towards an unguarded Tobin. Elliott Poley tried to intervene but his challenge was clumsy and Jones tumbled to ground. Kiye Martin’s penalty found the back of the net, although Tobin, who looked unbeatable all afternoon, will wonder how it squeezed under his body. Full-Time.

Obviously, The Reds league form at this moment in time is not good enough to challenge for a place in the top five. However, Walton & Hersham, who currently lie in second position, have lost the same number of games (seven), as the Reds. This division is tight and you can rest assured that Danny and his team will be doing all they can to turn things around. It’s during these periods that we need your support more than ever, starting with the visit of Bedfont Sports on Bank Holiday Monday. See you all in 2023. COYR….

Uxbridge Line-up: Tobin, Andrew, Sota, Jarra, Poley, Jackson, Simmo, Ireland, Williams, Witham, Osobu. Subs Used: Mensah for Simmo, Chendlik for Ireland and Maloney for Witham. Not Used: Seabrook and O’Brien.


Recent Posts

See All